Thursday, July 12, 2007

Personal Trainer

For a long time now I wondered what it would be like to have a personal trainer and finally I have one. It started out that Ryan had the trainer but he just wasn't feelin' it so we asked the gym if they would let Ry hand over the appointments to me. They cordially said, "Sure, as long as someone is paying for it, I don't care who comes in", and wha-la, I have a trainer! :)

I started last week with a gentleman named Scott, who after 3 sessions made me unable to walk. Literally. Yesterday I was limping around (from Monday's leg workout) and would've done a much better job of walking had I been using crutches. But today my hamstrings feel much better and I am just dandy.

Today I had an appointment but my usual trainer, Scott never showed up so AJ, the head trainer showed me how out of shape I really am! He trains pro athletes and he is really tough. He had me do a 30 minute core/ab workout. He didn't have me go on any machines at all which suprised me. He had me start out with a medicine ball and he just made me lift it over my head for, well let's just say - forever! I felt like my arms were going to fall off. My arms just got heavier and heavier until they felt like lead! Then while I'm in that tired state he takes me to the floor to a push-up position and makes me do these frog things. You start out in a pushup position and then you bring your legs in (quickly) to your hands so you look like a frog and then you (quickly) bring them back to that starting pushup position. It was so intense for me that I had to stop like 5 times and he just kept saying, "Come on just do 15, you can do it, come on", in this real quiet, smooth voice. He's really intense but very quiet and gentle in his voice - it's very strange and ironic! Then we proceeded back to the bench for a killer ab workout with the medicine ball. I never thought I was so weak but working out with a medicine ball and doing the things we were doing seemed much more intense than the weights that I was using before. The difference is that you are going against gravity and fighting against your own body weight and it burns and makes for a much more intense workout. I think it's also because you can sustain the motions longer without risk of an injury like when using weights. I never thought a medicine ball could give you such a good workout. I think I may switch trainers now that I've worked with AJ, I liked it. It hurt good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is QUITE the workout!! I would have died I think! :) I think it is so cool that you have a trainer, you'll have to show me some of the best workout moves so maybe I can buff myself up a little bit! :) xoxoxo

Love you besite, love your blogs!!!