Friday, July 13, 2007

Brother Lawrence - Practicing the Presence of God


This little book is a treasure. Someone gave it to me almost 10 years ago and I still have it and think about the concepts that Brother Lawrence teaches in this little book of his letters. It sits on top of my TV to remind me of practicing the presence of God.
Here is a little bio about Brother Lawrence:
"The famous spiritual writer Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection (1611-1691) was a Discalced Carmelite Brother in our Paris house. There he served the community for thirty years as a cook and a cobbler. He enjoyed a continual sense of the presence of God in the midst of his daily activities. He was sought out by many including some of the famous for his spiritual advice. His spiritual maxims and letters were published after his death and today are still very popular. In The Practice of the Presence of God he testifies to the satisfaction of a Brother’s life, 'There is not in the world a kind of life more sweet and delightful.' "

I really want to enjoy a continual sense of the presence of God in the midst of my daily activities. It's not as easy as it sounds. Brother Lawrence would say that all you need to do is continually allow your thoughts to think back to God and talk with him about things in your day.

I love Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection b/c I love the presence of God. More than shopping or wearing a new outfit...and that's saying alot!!!! Haha!!!!!

No comments: