Sunday, August 17, 2008


Children find everything in nothing; men find nothing in everything. ~Giacomo Leopardi, Zibaldone Scelto

Last night I was sitting in my backyard with my husband having an in depth and serious conversation about our life and our marriage. It was quite somber actually. And then a few of the neighborhood kids peeked out from behind the tree at the back gate. They were chasing each other while playing a good ole game of hide and seek. After running through our yard and screaming they came back and introduced themselves and asked tons of questions as kids usually do. Ryan and I are the last of our friends here in town (married friends) who don't have kids yet so we found this funny and interesting. We used to teach at a daycare center when we were first dating so it felt really good to hang out with a bunch of kids together. I learned that one little girl named Jada, who is going to 2nd grade, is quite the fashionista with her large hoop "Hannah Montana" earrings. She told me that she wants to be a hairstylist when she grows up. And Karl, 9 years old, loves watching the Food Network. He told me about his dreams of being a chef when he grows up. He especially likes to watch Rachel Ray, to which I repsonded with excitement, because I love to watch her as well! Gabe is on the football team and he kept telling the other kids that he can't get hurt while playing outside because he needs to be in the best shape for practice! Suddenly Ryan and my problems seemed to just fade into the background as I listened to these wonderful kids. My heart was exploding with joy as we talked with them and listened to their little hearts filled with such big hopes and dreams that hadn't been shattered by life's disappointments. I got to thinking that life is not so complicated as I make it sometimes. I think kids are great! They are so teachable and open to life and people. I mean, hey, they didn't know me and Ryan from Adam yet they hung out in our yard for like 2 hours. I think I understand now why the Kingdom of Heaven is for those who have childlike faith. This brings me to this morning at church the sermon was about children and Ryan and I turned to each other and smiled because it was as if God was speaking to us in that moment. (And not about us having kids...haha, we're still NOT ready for that!) But seriously, I believe he was speaking to us through those kids. Never underestimate how and when God can speak to you. It is such a beautiful thing. And kids can be God's chosen vessels to get us grown-ups to take it down a notch with our complex life issues and learn to just find joy in the little things. Kids don't need much to create a game or have fun. The imagination of a child is so inspiring and now I understand why God wants us to be as a child and to come to him as a child.
(Jada doing a cartwheel and Karl watching while holding Tegan) The photos are taken with my iPhone so they are a little blurry...sorry. ;)
There's nothing that can help you understand your beliefs more than trying to explain them to an inquisitive child. ~Frank A. Clark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are very deep.. and very cool..
and THAT is why I love you

Bill Cummings said...

Beautiful!