Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Inner Beauty

I mentioned before that I'm reading "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle and I want to share a little nugget and there are SO many little nuggets of wisdom in the book. I'm only on Chapter 2 because it's one of those books that you want to read slowly and digest fully which takes time and actually is probably not fully possible. One of the things that Eckhart says in the book that really struck me was "Designer labels are primarily collective identities that you buy into. They are expensive and therefore "exclusive." If everyone could by them, they would lose their psycological value and all you would be left with would be their material value, which likely amounts to a fraction of what you paid. What kind of things you identify with will vary from person to person according to age, gender, income, social class, fashion, the surrounding culture, and so on. What you identify with is all to do with content; whereas, the unconscious compulsion to identify is structural. It is one of the most basic ways in which the egoic mind operates."
Wow! Very true. Now I don't think that liking or having designer labels is wrong but I think it's when we lose our identity in them that the problem lies. I love designer labels...but not just b/c of the designer label but for the artistic quality they hold and the creativity behind the designer. So anyway...just a thought to stay grounded and true to myself. Hopefully this was helpful to you as well. :)
Also I think it's important to put emphasis on our inner beauty b/c the human spirit never ages...it's only the body that ages and will one day lose it's allure. But our inner beauty can shine forever!

No comments: