Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

This iPhone picture was taken from my car looking out the window when we were driving home from my aunt's cookout. It was a good day. Good company. Good food. Good times.

My dad stopped in at my aunt's cookout today. This morning we were on the phone for an hour and a half talking about photography...he is trying to get me to learn the zone system formulated by Ansel Adams . Sounds really complicated. But I really want to learn. He started learning about photography when I was born...said I inspired him to take up the hobby because he wanted to photograph me. I have had my camera for about 3 or 4 years and I am just now really learning more about shooting manual. My dad is a great teacher. My dad is an old school photographer - he shoots digital but he believes in making sure your exposure and everything is perfected before you take it into Photoshop. He said a real photographer doesn't have to do much editing in Photoshop. He shot weddings with film cameras back in his day and I can't imagine not being able to see your shot beforehand and having to wait until the film was developed. EEEEEk. But if you know your stuff there's no worries. I think the best photographers have mastered film photography first. I have so much to learn but looking back a few years, I know a heck of a lot more than I did. And I have to remember that I'm on my own journey and not to compare myself to others. I am enjoying the path that I'm on and making the best of what I know right now and the equipment I have right now. I have such a passion for photography. And there is so much involved and so much to learn but it's SO amazing. And it makes me SO happy. Like ridiculously happy. It's so funny because my whole life I've grown up around it with my dad and I waited until a few years ago to learn more. Late bloomer. I was always into art but never had a "real" camera until I did a website for a friend and in return she gave me her camera (with a really great lens). I was so intimidated by it at first but now I really love it and although it's challenging, it's so fun and addicting at the same time.

My aunt, Martha telling secrets to Oliver. She is the one who watches him when I go to work.

Normally on the 4th of July my dad comes to our house and we would walk to see the fireworks but we thought that we better wait until Oliver is a little older. He slept in the car on the way home even with all of the noise from the fireworks. At least we got to see them on our drive home. It was actually pretty cool to watch them in an air-conditioned car and not have to deal with the crowds. And we had such a perfect day with my family. I'm so grateful for them. I'm a lucky gal.

No comments: