Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Rachel Ray's Pizzagna

Since I'm working 2 jobs I try to be creative with how to feed my husband. I try to make meals that he can eat throughout the week/weekend when I'm working so I know that he's not starving himself. The only thing he makes for himself is cereal, poached eggs in the microwave (ewwwww...gross!) and occassionally he'll cook a piece of salmon or tuna in a skillet. But that's rare. I love this recipe!!!! I love love love this recipe!!!! There are a few things that I substitute b/c I don't like mushrooms or parmigiano-reggiano cheese so I just use mozzarella and also sometimes if I'm lazy I'll just use a can of Hunts tomato sauce instead of sauteing the veggies and stuff to make my own sauce. But it's so much better if you follow her recipe to make the sauce. And this recipe makes GREAT leftovers!!!! I'm not a domestic goddess so if I can do it, SO CAN YOU!!!!
So here is the recipe:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pizzagna
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
See this recipe on air Thursday Dec. 06 at 6:30 PM ET/PT.
Show: 30 Minute Meals
Episode: Pizzagna

1 pound pasta curls (recommended: campagnelle by Barilla; short fusilli or cavatappi twists may be substituted)
Salt
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, a couple of handfuls
Handful parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup sliced pepperoni, cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
1 green or red bell pepper, seeded, quartered and thinly sliced
1 onion, quartered then thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
12 crimini mushrooms (baby portabellos), thinly sliced
Black pepper
1 (28-ounces) can crushed tomatoes
3/4 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Loaf of crusty bread
Preheat broiler.
Bring a pot of water to a boil, add pasta and salt the water.

While the water boils combine ricotta, Parmigiano, parsley and pepperoni in a large bowl and reserve.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat with extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. When the oil is hot, add the peppers, onions, garlic and mushrooms. Saute 6 to 8 minutes until tender and mushrooms are dark. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes and reduce heat to low.

Add a ladle of starchy cooking water to the ricotta just before you drain the pasta. Drain pasta then toss with ricotta and pepperoni mixture. Pour pasta into a baking dish and top evenly with peppers, onion and mushroom sauce. Top with a layer of mozzarella, oregano and red pepper flakes. Place under hot broiler and melt cheese until golden and bubbly. Remove and serve with crusty bread.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THIS SOUNDS SOOOO GOOOOOOOD! OMG!

:) YUMMM!